Wednesday, January 27, 2010

News

I must first apologize for my recent hiatus. The holidays really took a lot out of me this year, and then I got a bit busy. But to welcome us back, I have a few news items. They're not all exactly on topic, but I found them interesting anyway and thought you would, too!

First of all, here's an article all about the MTA's Lost & Found department. I wasn't even aware that there was such a thing. If I ever lost anything on the subway, which I haven't (knock on wood), I'd likely just consider it gone forever anyway. Still, it's nice to know there's hope.


This is also terribly off-topic for this blog, but of course, I am 100% in support of all things Green. For years now, I've been saying that there really should be a service that will give you a Christmas tree with its roots bundled, and after the holiday, pick it up and replant it for next year. I mean, how many millions of beautiful, vibrant young trees have to die for this holiday every year? I think it's horrible. Well, it turns out that someone is doing exactly that, at least out west. There were benefits to it that hadn't even occurred to me, as well, like how families get the same tree every year, name it, and form a kind of relationship with it, almost like a family pet on loan. I thought that was really nice.


Much more on target is that Arquitectonica, which is really not a bad firm at all, is putting up this mostly bland structure on Forty-Second Street:

The good news, though, is that the theaters on the lower levels will have interiors designed by Frank Gehry. Woohoo! It will be only the third thing he's done in New York, and I really wish he'd be given more projects here building from the ground up, but it should be very exciting to see what they look like.


Lastly, this is also off-topic because it isn't happening in New York City, but I'm just such a huge fan of John Lautner.

--Photo courtesy Look Into My Owl.
The Palm Springs Museum has a whole show they're mounting of his work. Seriously, NO one did 007 Space Age Bachelor Pad better than Lautner. Almost makes me want to visit Palm Springs again, or listen to some Esquivel.

No comments: