Friday, July 11, 2008

Glass You Like It


Here's the work of Brooklyn's John Pomp, glass blower.

He's of course done some glass vases, my favorites of which are these collections in white and black:


Interesting that this follows directly the Eastique post, because I think this might be the perfect item for their sideboard.  I'm thinking a row of identical tall, slender ones in back, and a row of identical short, squat ones in front.  And I think I'll go with black in this case, although I love the white ones, too...and let's say a single palm frond in each of the rear ones, a single yellow rose in each front one.  Awesome.

Okay, I just drifted off there...

I was especially impressed, though, by Pomp's lighting.  These are the items he was displaying at the show, and they only just went up onto the website, from what I can tell, so I'm glad I went back to look again.  Here's a large pendant:

First of all, you have the contrast between the sharp geometry of the outer glass encasement and the very organic hand-blown globes inside it.  Then this jumble of globes, each lit by a small bulb, creates all these overlapping patterns of glass, reflection, and shine.  There's something vaguely natural about this, too: I'm almost tempted to say like too many jellyfish in a fish tank.  It's extremely interesting.

Here's a sconce:

There's a shorter version of this, as well.  The dark glass and chrome makes this extremely elegant, but the visibly hand-blown glass diffusers and the different soft angles of the hardware keeps it from being too cold and stark.  It's quite subtle and interesting.

I really love these table lamps, too:

In a very romantic sort of way, they look like a forgotten century-old experiment from Thomas Edison's laboratory.  But the quality of light these would put off would be so ambient and moody, likely very flattering, as well.

I think my favorite of them may be this pendant:

It's four glass diffusers of the same proportions in diminishing size.  It creates all these amazing reflections from the light bulb off the layers of glass, while keeping the light from being too harsh.  It's almost mystical, but so simple and intriguing, warm and pleasing on the eye.

John Pomp Studios
718-486-9620

©2008, Ryan Witte

No comments: