Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Vain in the Neck

Last week I found out about the first ever Brooklyn Lyceum Craft Show from a friend who had a booth there.  It was a bit less earthy/crunchy than I was expecting, but there was an unusual amount of kids, baby clothes, baby hats, baby t-shirts, baby, baby, kids, baby, baby items that I wasn't expecting.  Aside from all of that, there were some pretty cool things to be found.  In no particular order, here are some of my favorites.

Many of the sellers seem to be represented by The (New New) York Etsy Street Team, and I'll start with a few of those.  The first of them is a Brooklyn husband-and-wife team making jewelry under the name Caja Jewelry.  All their pieces are totally cut by hand.  Some of them are a little edgy, like this high-heeled leg:


They also do custom name pendants that would make beautiful gifts.  Even better, they have a very cleverly literal "vanity" pendant in the same style:


But most interesting to me are their interpretations of themes from nature:

This one was my favorite:

It's only a little over an inch wide, so the detail is extremely fine and precise for hand-crafted work.  I thought it was extremely classy and interesting.  I might have gotten one, but I was supposed to be shopping for presents for other people.  Almost all of them appear to be offered in either gold or Sterling.

©2008, Ryan Witte

No comments: