Thursday, August 6, 2009

Raising the Bar


Here's a couple clever things from Seattle's Urbancase.

I spoke briefly with designer Darin Montgomery about this very cool bar/ liquor cabinet:
I love the "medicinal purposes" look of it and think that's pretty funny. I mean, that's the only reason I ever imbibe. Promise.
But much more than that, I have no idea why it's not more common to see bars that can be hung from the wall. It seems like that's just way too obvious, and yet, I can't remember the last time I saw one. This would be absolutely perfect in my kitchen, which isn't tiny, but I'm still somewhat limited for space and definitely couldn't have a big cabinet sitting on the floor. I think I really do want one of these.

I also liked these blankets a lot:
They're surplus gray wool blankets they salvaged and then embroidered onto them the image of a Berlin subway train in yellow or turquoise. Living on a subway line where the stations are above ground and pummeled by icy arctic winds, there were a few times this past winter when I wish I'd had one of these. Definitely cool for your couch, too, of course.

©2009, Ryan Witte

No comments: